Thursday, October 30, 2008

Chassis testing


Here is my test bed. Pushing the button makes it move forward, then another push for a full power turn and then a final pust for a full power turn.

I wanted to have geared wheels. I wanted to use all the tires and I wanted to use all the motors for driving. So I wanted to test the best configuration.

I built the geared wheels and loved them. But they are slow. Power or speed! Agility based or Strength based. I figured there are no small fast Sumo wrestlers so I decided to keep the low gearing.

This meant I needed to test out the best wheelbase for turning and power.

I built a configurable test bed that allowed me to make long and wide or short and skinny or any combination and I tested various groupings. The best one was wide and short so now I am ready to start construciting my chassis.
Long and skinny. This didn't turn very well at all.
Medium configuration was a bit better. Wide and medium length.

Wide as possible with a short wheel base. This turned the best and will be the configuration I will be using.

Testing various configurations was a great idead and I am pleased I didn't start building the first thing that I designed.

No comments: