Monday, October 20, 2008

Body shape and wheels

Aim: To build a stable robot with a low center of gravity.
I attached the motors to the side of the robot brains. This gives a very low center of gravity and a wide wheel base. Looks awesome. I thought about widening it further and putting two wheels on each motor but then I'd have no wheels for the third driving motor.For the third motor I thought that if it was geared down it could be the extra grunt I need to push out the opponent. I played around with dual geared wheels and found this arrangement worked really well.

The hard part was putting the three motors together so that the read wheel could swivel because I felt that the friction of dragging the rear wheels would slow down the turning. Here is a picture of them put together but the robot is really long which must not help with the turning circle. I will leave it like this for now and do some programming but I am not happy with the length of this design and will have to revisit it soon.

No comments: